Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Choice to be open

There are always choices in life to be made, some are simple like getting out of bed in the morning while others are a bit more challenging like what to wear. Then there are those kinds of choices in life that can change you as a person and change relationships. Many thoughts pop into my mind as tempting choices but pop right back out of my mind because they are just things that I would never really do....like dreading my hair. But the hardest choice of all to make in life (in my opinion), is to open up and be vulnerable with others. Now I hope that you realize that the risk in this is not exclusive to relationships with the opposite sex. You could struggle with opening up to your boss and of course we have all struggled to be honest with our parents at one point or another in our lives. Tonight I took a step to be transparent to my Campus Life leaders. At this point I do consider them all to be friends but nonetheless it is always hard to make that choice to put a piece of yourself out there for others. Others are so human and vulnerable themselves...they have the option to except whatever you throw out there or to say I don't want any part of it. I know that we all have struggles and history's that make us who we are but I personally find it hard to share history with someone who didn't live it or walk through it with me. But since being in ministry there are soo so many things and quirks including history that make me the "minister" that I am. Making the choice to let others know those specifics hard. How should I expect to have true partners without being transparent and not just for leadership sake but for life-giving, community building, Christ-honoring realness' sake. I don't know if my leaders were blessed or encouraged about my openness tonight but even if they weren't I have to believe God had some point in it- Life is a challenge to attempt on our own, but is also a challenge to share with others.

No comments: