Friday, July 26, 2013

If its not one thing its another...

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS COMPLAINING

   At the beginning of the week I caught myself asking my boss, "Can anything else go wrong this week?"  She responded with a dropped jaw "yes it can and it probably will because satan just heard you say that."  I have never been the type of person who ever gives satan more credit then he deserves so I kinda balked at her response, however its Friday and I now regret saying asking that question.

  We are leaving tomorrow night to take 55 high school student to YFCamp in North Carolina.  So that means this week has been consumed by collecting forms, meeting parents, and fielding questions about what to pack.  I have worked really hard to sign students up and to raise money to make it possible for many of them to go.  I have been SO excited for YFCamp, as I am every year, but something happened this week and my excitement and joy was kinda taken away- and when those were gone my perspective and focus became negative.
  This is somewhat uncharacteristic of me because I LOVE camp! I love it so much that I spend two weeks of my summer going.  First week to take students and the 2nd I serve so other leaders can be with their students.  This week just seemed like everyday had a new surprise of something I didn't want to deal with.  First was the discouragement of a couple students dropping out despite having scholarships for them to go, leaving me with money and space for more students to go but no one who seemed to want to go.  Second was missing an important deadline to enroll in college to finish my degree which I have been looking forward to for months now.  Then my roommate tells me she wants to move out, and my car starts acting up. (Goes without mentioning how necessary my car is in order to finish picking up paperwork in preparation for camp.)  Then I receive a phone call from my bank telling me my card number has been compromised and they want to close my account and re-issue everything...Go ahead and scream or crawl into the fetal position for me as I was unable to do either of those things with so much still to get done for camp.  Even as I write this I am procrastinating on finishing that "to-do" list.
   I have a tendency to feel picked on when things like this happen, you know when one thing after another just seems to come at you whether your ready or not.  When this happens I have a hard time telling the difference between God's tests and satan's distractions.  This week I have a feeling that my boss was right, and I shouldn't have asked a question that would imply things could get worse...because they did.  I suspect that satan did want to find a way to steal my joy and excitement for what will happen at YFCamp, and it worked.  However I also suspect God is trying to teach me something about my character, as I do have a tendency to throw my hands up in the air and give up when life throws too much at me all at once.  All that said I am expecting God to show up and do some amazing things at YFCamp this week- Please pray that I would focus on what God wants me to see, and understand that whether its my car, my living situation or which students get on the bus and which ones don't, He is in control.


No comments: